+ Reply to Thread

Thread: high fat and blocked coronaries?

high fat and blocked coronaries?

To the BioTrust team: can you clarify how a ketogenic (high fat) eating plan is safe with respect to blocking coronary arteries? Folks who are post-op cardiac bypass are still told to avoid all oils, fats and the like (maybe even red meat).

Good afternoon, committed. Welcome to the Community Forum. Thank you so much for sharing your questions and concerns with us. We would be more than happy to address these hopefully to your satisfaction.

Before I begin, I must state that the information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.

With that being said, ketogenesis is the process by which ketone bodies are produced as a result of fatty acid breakdown. This doesn't mean that one will utilize more body fat from following a ketogenic diet, though. In fact, ketogenic diets are generally prescribed for folks who have epilepsy, not for those looking losing body fat. So depending on your specific goals, this may be something you could implement however it is also worth discussing some other meal plans which may provide you with favorable results (again, depending on your goal).

Ketogenic diets are not necessary to cajole the body to lose body fat, and contrary to what you may have heard in the past, carbohydrates are not the enemy.

We recently wrote a pretty amazing article on our blog which may shed some light on what the ketogenic diet entails:

What is the Ketogenic Diet?

Additionally, below you'll find a comprehensive eBook written by Lyle McDonald on ketogenic dieting; some might call this the holy grail of the ketogenic diet, so it's definitely worth the read. That said, it's quite long and in-depth, so I encourage you to ask questions along the way.

The Ketogenic Diet: A complete guide for the Dieter and Practitioner

I would be interested to learn more about you, committed, as well as what your overall health and wellness goals are, and what your current diet consists of. What promoted this desire to change your meal plan, and what you are hoping to achieve? From there, we can discuss some of your options, and how to help you get started.
    Cristina Powell, ME-NC3, Pn1
    Nutrition and Exercise Coach
    Blog Articles by Coach Cristina
    Love yourself enough to live a healthy lifestyle.

+ Reply to Thread