+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which suppliment?

Which suppliment?

Hi, my name is Elaine and this is my 1st post. I am 58 and have struggled with weight since I was very young being rewarded from chores with sweets. As stress occurs to traumatic situations with the passing of my husband I found comfort with sweets and am in a mess with weight that does not want to come off. I work as a cashier 5days 7hrs a day. I already use the low carb powder and have the crave 96 on the way. I allow myself 1400 calories a day and am 5'6". I do have exercise dvds, but feeling frustrated has not motivated me lately.
    Need help with plateau and fat burn. Thank you !

Good morning, Elaine. Welcome to the Community Forum. Your questions and concerns hit home for me, as I have similar concerns with regards to sweets, and more specifically sugar. I actually wrote an article for our blog about my journey, which may be helpful to explore:

My Sugar Addiction

Cravings, especially for sugar, are quite possibly one of the biggest struggles folks have when trying to adhere to a diet plan, and practically everyone experiences them to some extent. There are a number of reasons why cravings come about, and we'll talk about a few of those reasons throughout this post. However, I do think it will be helpful to read the thread below, as it acts as a good primer for this conversation.

How To Deal With Cravings

That said, I'd venture to say that a majority of people experience cravings as a coping mechanism for emotional/psychological reasons. You see, eating is a pleasant experience, and that experience should be coveted. However, we have to be careful with eating because it can be used to mask how we're really feeling, or it can be used to increase feelings of well-being when other means fail to do so.

For instance, it's not uncommon for folks to gravitate toward sweet food when they're feeling depressed; this is normal to some extent, as sweet food is gratifying. However, eating sweet food when feeling sad/depressed could help create or solidify an unhealthful habit loop. This is great for folks that gravitate toward eating broccoli when they're sad, but I doubt that's the case for most. Knowing this, it's important to look at all of the reasons you're experiencing cravings.

I hesitate to say that the body is resistant to losing weight, but to some extent that is true. For instance, when folks drive a negative energy balance (e.g., reduce their calorie consumption), the body compensates by increasing hunger hormones (e.g., ghrelin), which can cause extreme hunger/appetite. If that's not bad enough, leptin (i.e., the satiety hormone) levels drop too, which can lead to a whole host of metabolic adaptations that aren't conducive to weight loss (e.g., reduced metabolic rate).

Because of this, we typically advocate re-feeds or Cheat Days to bring one's hormones (and psyche) back to baseline. In other words, we program times where it's acceptable to give into these cravings, as this bolsters diet adherence, improves metabolic rate, and more. Thus, you might consider programming a re-feed into your diet every 7 to 14 days to ensure you stay consistent; the thread below talks a bit more about that if you're interested.

Is A Cheat Day Necessary?

I do think you will find being mindful of your protein intake to be helpful, and I also believe the supplementation to your diet with CraveFix 96 will help to keep your hunger and cravings minimized. It may be helpful to discuss some of your current habits, so that we can gain a better understanding of what's going on and how we can create an action plan to help you reach your goals.

We look forward to working with you, Elaine. Stay positive.
    Cristina Powell, ME-NC3, Pn1
    Nutrition and Exercise Coach
    Blog Articles by Coach Cristina
    Love yourself enough to live a healthy lifestyle.

+ Reply to Thread