+ Reply to Thread

Thread: another 3 week newbie

another 3 week newbie

Let me introduce myself. 52yo, 215, 6'. I'm about 30lbs. Overweight and a little soft. I started using a strength trainer about 2 months ago. I can see a little difference but I wasn't losing any weight. I stumbled across the 3 week diet and thought I would try it. I'm on my third day and committed to give it a try.
    One thing I think you all might warn people about is the nicotine part. I am totally ignorant as I have never smoked a day in my life. Seeing the the 4mg package in the introduction I went out and bought the same. I got nicotine poisoning and was violently ill for about 2hrs. and that was mon. my day one.
    I have a question about the diet. It never said and I'm just finding this forum to ask but how much olive oil are we allowed per day in the first week? I have been roasting my vegetables and using the olive oil and spices to cook them. Just wondering if there was supposed to be an allowable amount?
    Also, is it normal for your stomach to feel a little off when starting this? I figure my system is in shock right now, just wondering.
    And I told the trainer about the high intensity work outs recommended and is going to make some adjustments to my routine. I do strength training on mon., wed., fri., and I go on my own tues. and thur. and do cardio. I work body groups, is this OK?
    I work nights and I haven't fasted but I am doing the skip breakfast thing everyday. So when I eat my last meal about 6:30am I don't eat again until after I workout, about 8:30pm. Is that agreeable with the diet. I am going to do the 24 hr. fast on day 8.
    I guess I had a few questions. As I stated I'm committed to give this a go and continue on after if everything works out. Thank you for your time.

my goals

I didn't mention this in my first post. In my prime I was able to work out 250lbs. bench press at 180lbs., not that is some great amount but I was active and felt good. Now, maybe 20yrs later I would like to get to 225lbs. and shed this fat, and get my energy level higher. I am looking to make a nutritional life style change so while I am doing this 3 week diet I want to make the changes permanent.

Good morning, wardf. On behalf of the Coaches and the entire BioTRUST Nutrition team, I want to welcome you to the Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your story with us, and for allowing us the opportunity to assist you with your body transformation journey. In addition to the Forum, which we hope will serve as a valuable resource for you, we have recently launched a new blog which contains a ton of great information and informative articles which you may access here:

BioTRUST Blog

Before I begin, I would like to mention that any advice or recommendations we make should never replace any information or treatment plans discussed by your regular physician. Our products and services should be used in conjunction with good nutrition and regular physical activity, and if you are being treated for any medical conditions or taking any prescription medications, we advise that you get prior approval from your physician before making any changes to your current program.

With that being said, I would be more than happy to address your inquiries into the 3 Week Diet, and help you to better understand how to achieve the most benefit from this program, and reach your goals.

One thing I think you all might warn people about is the nicotine part. I am totally ignorant as I have never smoked a day in my life. Seeing the the 4mg package in the introduction I went out and bought the same. I got nicotine poisoning and was violently ill for about 2hrs. and that was mon. my day one.
    Please forgive me for not understanding this question. Can you please let me know what it is you are referring to when you mention the "nicotine part"? I am not aware of any recommendations to include nicotine as part of our program, and would need some clarity on this so I can respond appropriately.

how much olive oil are we allowed per day in the first week?
    Olive oil is considered a fat, therefore should be included in your meal plan whenever it is recommended that a "fat" is to be included. Generally speaking a portion of fat is the size and thickness of the tip of your thumb.

To summarize, here are the portion guidelines:
    Protein –size and thickness of the palm of your hand
    Carbohydrate –size of your clenched fist
    Fat –size and thickness of the tip of your thumb

The reason why hand-based portion sizes work so well is that they are relative to the size of the individual. Smaller people with smaller hands will eat less food because they require less calories. Similarly, larger people with resultantly bigger hands will eat more food because they require more calories.

is it normal for your stomach to feel a little off when starting this? I figure my system is in shock right now, just wondering.
    Can you elaborate more on what you mean when you say that your stomach is feeling a little off? We certainly do not want you to have any feelings of discomfort, and if you are finding that you are not able to sustain your energy or that you are feeling more or less hungry, these are things that we should look a little further into.

When you mention that you wonder if your system is in shock, do you mean than you are not used to consuming some of the recommended foods? Are you eating different types of foods that are not typically in your meal plan?

I do strength training on mon., wed., fri., and I go on my own tues. and thur. and do cardio. I work body groups, is this OK?
    While it’s not mandatory to follow our specific work-out, physical activity is a pillar of the BioTrust Lifestyle, and it’s fundamental to longevity, performance, and wellness.

Exercise can help promote maintenance of or increases in calorie-burning muscle mass, and what’s more, there’s some research that suggests that regular exercise improves leptin sensitivity. As you can imagine, this is an important piece of the fat-loss equation, as improved leptin signaling means that the brain is better able to register circulating levels of this key fat-burning hormone.

With that in mind, we strongly recommend and encourage you to include exercise as part of your weight loss program. It sounds as though you are including a variety of exercises and working with a personal trainer is definitely a great idea. I would say your current programming is awesome, and it may be a good idea to keep track of your progress in this area. For example, keep a journal or log of the weights you are using, as well as the duration and intensity of your cardio. It will be helpful to see how you are improving, and how your diet plays a role in what you are able to accomplish.

I eat my last meal about 6:30am I don't eat again until after I workout, about 8:30pm. Is that agreeable with the diet.
    Since you work nights and don't have a standard schedule, you are more than welcome to adjust the schedule of your meals to suit your individual schedule.

Don’t stress out too much about the exact timing.

Rather, focus on consistently making the best food choices (i.e., food quality) in the appropriate amounts (i.e., portion sizes) for you and your goals when you do eat, and take the time to listen to your body to find out what works best. When calories, portion sizes, and macronutrients are controlled, meal frequency doesn't matter. Better said, if you eat the right types of food (i.e., food choices) in the right amounts (i.e., portion control), meal frequency becomes a matter of personal preference.

I hope I have been successful in addressing your initial questions. Please let us know if you have any follow up questions, and we will be more than happy to help address those.

I look forward to working with you, and sharing in your journey, wardf.

Have a wonderful weekend.
    Cristina Powell, ME-NC3, Pn1
    Nutrition and Exercise Coach
    Blog Articles by Coach Cristina
    Love yourself enough to live a healthy lifestyle.

another 3 week newbie

I'm on day 8. I tried to submit theads last week to but they didn't get posted so I'm trying again.
    First off I'll try to give some background. I'm 52yo, 6'0", and I started off weighing 215lbs. I weighed about 185ish up until I was 36 and I had a good exercise habbit. In the following years I had kids and would workout hit and miss. Time has a way of getting to me. I started using a strength trainer about a 2 months ago and I've seen small changes in my body but I wasn't losing any weight. I don't even know how I stumbled across this diet as I read about so many but I decided it sounded smart and doable.
    By day 6 I had lost almost 10lbs. I'm trying to stick to this diet as close as I can, I did eat 1/2 a chocolate chip cookie on day 5 and the other 1/2 was still laying there day 7 and I finished it. I don't feel too guilty about it going from the way I used to eat to this.
    I ate last night about 10p slept all night and now I shift back to my work schedule of 11p to 7a. So at 10p tonight I guess I have a cheat meal coming up but I work all night so I'm going right into day 1of phase 3. Now I have a couple questions and goals.
    In the week that we get most of our calories from fat do we vegetables also? I made up my 3 meals for tonight and there is not much there. 2 avacados, about 2 1/2 servings of macadamia nuts and 5 thin slices of ham with cream cheese rolled up inside. Those are my 3 meals and they are close to 1500 calories.
    I talked to my trainer about the outlined exercise plan and he is going to adjust to a higher intesity but we are still going to concentrate on certain body groups mon wed and fri. Tues and thur I do cardio, not to lose weight but to stay flexible and aork my heart. Is this going to hurt progress?
    Lastly, my goals is to get back in the 180s and work out with 225lbs on the bench. In my better days I weighed185ish and worked out with 250lbs. I have 3 kids, 17,15 & 13 and I plan working until 65 and feeling good doing it. I am a ble collar worker so this is important to me to be in shape. I want to be in the 180s and maintain.

Hi Ward. I responded to your e-mail as opposed to responding to your recent post due to the issues you were experiencing when accessing your thread. Please let me know if you received my correspondence and we can continue our discussion here!

I am looking very forward to working with you, and I hope you are having a great week!
    Cristina Powell, ME-NC3, Pn1
    Nutrition and Exercise Coach
    Blog Articles by Coach Cristina
    Love yourself enough to live a healthy lifestyle.

+ Reply to Thread