+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol is NOT good for you!

Alcohol is NOT good for you!

I just received an email from BioTrust, regarding the doctor who says that a glass of red wine is good for you. Articles like this drive me nuts, because I have ranted against alcohol for years online, writing thousands of comments, tons of blogs, even a BOOK about why we shouldn't use alcohol! Alcohol is a drug. Just because it's legal doesn't make it right! A casual booze drinker is no better than a casual pot smoker except they aren't breaking the law. And we will NEVER get the pot smokers to understand why it's wrong and immature to use mind-altering drugs as long as people use alcohol. Their number one excuse is, "Pot is safer than alcohol." I tell them over and over we shouldn't use EITHER of these things! People need to grow up and set an example! Not to mention the health risks; studies show that even in low doses, alcohol significantly increases the risk of breast cancer in women, along with liver and rectum cancer. LOW DOSES! I have written tons of blogs and comments all over the Internet about this. But even if alcohol were good for you, just the fact that it's a mind-altering drug makes it wrong. And I have explained over and over about how alcohol is against my religion; I am a convert to the Mormon church and we have The Word of Wisdom which is revelation from God saying that alcohol, tea, coffee, cigarettes and mind-altering drugs like marijuana are not for the body. We are taught the moral and physical reasons to avoid using these things. This HELPS us! It is good to understand why we shouldn't use mind-altering drugs like pot and alcohol to get buzzed, have "fun", etc. That is not what TRUE fun is! That is what makes it wrong! I hate when I see articles like this, because what am I supposed to do, tell God He is wrong and drop out of my church? I studied, pondered and prayed a long time before joining the LDS church years ago, and I know it is true. I can't deny that. But you shouldn't even have to be Mormon or religious to know not to drink. It is just common sense! Again, alcohol is a drug! Just because it's legal doesn't make it right!

Good morning, Cindybin. On behalf of the Coaches and the entire BioTRUST Nutrition team, we want to welcome you to the Community Forum.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding our recent newsletter in which we discuss ways to Fix Your Blood Sugar. Below is an excerpt from this publication:

If you're over 40 and want to defy each passing year while promoting more youthful hair, nails and skin, the below 7 foods will help you stock up on some of the most powerful anti-aging nutrients around.

1. Olive Oil - Not only do the monounsaturated fats contained in olive oil support healthy arteries and a healthy heart, but olive oil also contains polyphenols, a potent anti-oxidant that may help prevent a number of age-related diseases. We recommend organic extra virgin olive oil for the most anti-aging bang for your buck.

2. Red Wine - That's right, a glass of wine daily may indeed have a positive effect on your health due to its resveratrol content, a unique anti-oxidant that can help fight against diabetes, heart disease, and age-related memory loss.

3. Beans - The unique proteins in beans thicken and strengthen your hair cells, so you can enjoy a full head of hair as you lengthen your years.

4. Brazil Nuts - Brazil nuts are rich in selenium, a mineral which aids in the production of the anti-oxidant glutathione to help slow down the skin aging process. Just 2 nuts a day will provide you with enough selenium to reap its anti-aging benefits.

5. Tomatoes - Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, which has been shown to support heart health and healthy cholesterol levels as you age. Lycopene also acts as a natural sun block to keep skin youthful and protected from harmful UV rays.

6. Raspberries & Blueberries - These two berries contain important anti-oxidants to help offset inflammation and oxidative stress that contribute to skin aging and wrinkles. Just one serving of either or these berries contains more anti-oxidants than 10 servings of most other fruits and vegetables!

7. Organic Eggs - Despite the bad rap eggs get because of their cholesterol content, which is based on completely erroneous science, eggs are rich in biotin and iron which help to promote healthy, youthful skin and hair.

Now, on the other hand, if there's one food you should be avoiding, it's THIS one: High Fructose Corn Syrup.

This is undoubtedly the #1 WORST carb EVER, and the money-hungry food industry is conspiring to sneak this nightmare carb into just about everything.

This extremely common carb wreaks havoc on your fat-storing hormones in a MAJOR way, and has even been shown to hamper memory, slow brain activity, and increase your risk of Alzheimer’s. Talk about an anti-aging nightmare

I can completely understand your position, and can appreciate that alcohol is not included in your diet as part of your religious beliefs. We would never ask that you forego any of your personal beliefs, however we are simply providing information that is based on scientific research.

With regards to our suggestion that a glass of red wine per day may have a positive effect on your healthy diet due to the resveratrol content, it is very important to understand that we are speaking in terms of moderation. Our recommendations are for one glass, which has been shown to help fight against diabetes, heart disease, and age related memory loss. The CDC's guidelines for alcohol consumption are: men may have two glasses of alcohol per day, and women may have one.

Our intent with including this information in our publication was to point out that alcoholic beverages (e.g., wine, liquor, beer) generally have a glycemic index of <15, which means they really don't impact one's blood sugar all that much. However, if one were to have carbohydrate-dense beers or sugar-laden drinks (e.g., cocktails), then it could lead one to have an increase in blood sugar.

Consuming alcohol potentially inhibits beta oxidation (i.e., fat utilization). That being said, alcohol in and of itself does not cause fat storage. In fact, ethanol (acetate) is less efficient as a metabolic substrate than protein for fat synthesis.

Simply put, it is highly unlikely to store fat from drinking alcohol; you would be more likely to convert protein to fat, which is a cumbersome and inefficient process.

To learn more about the health benefits of including a glass of red wine in your diet, the following discussion lends itself to this conversation:

Coach Tim: Red Wine

We apologize that one of our recommendations does not fall into the category of acceptable foods or beverages based on your personal and/or religious beliefs, Cindybin. Not all of our suggestions will be suitable or necessary for all of our customers, as there are many religions and cultures that have restrictions on certain food items that we have previously recommended.

There are some folks who are vegetarian who may frown upon our recommendations for including meat or poultry in their diet. There may be strict vegans who frown upon our inclusion of eggs and dairy in their diet. There are some people who adhere to the Jewish dietary laws and are unable to consume foods or products that are not certified Kosher or Halal, and may not be able to consume some of our products, despite them being made with natural ingredients, free from artificial colors, sweeteners, or flavors.

It is ultimately up to the individual to determine how to create a healthy meal plan that will allow them to achieve optimal health and wellness.

We do hope that the information we provide allows you to make an educated decision for yourself, and that it is helpful.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know.

Have a wonderful week.
    Cristina Powell, ME-NC3, Pn1
    Nutrition and Exercise Coach
    Blog Articles by Coach Cristina
    Love yourself enough to live a healthy lifestyle.

I also read many times on web, taking wine in a small dose effect positively or work as a medicine.

Good morning, devidking. Thank you for registering to join us here on the Community Forum, and for contributing to this thread on the benefits of including wine in your diet. Clearly this is a controversial topic, and we are not here to tell anyone that drinking wine is a requirement of achieving optimal health and wellness. Our intent was and is simply to provide information to our customers that they can use to create a healthy meal plan that is both manageable and effective for each individual.

Aside from the great resources provided in the above posts, another great source of information can be found in the following article which was posted by Authority Nutrition:

Red Wine: Good or Bad?

Some additional information on the benefits of resveratrol that you might find helpful have been provided by the great folks over at examine.com:

All About Resveratrol

We welcome your feedback, and any additional information you would like to share. And if you plan on sticking around a while, we would love the opportunity to get to know you better.

In the meantime, please let us know if you have any questions we can address for you, as we are here to help, and happy to do so.

Have a terrific day, devidking.

I think it becomes bad if the small amount of red wine daily, gradually turns into a bottle a day. Or if it leads into drinking other liquors on a regular basis.

If you can't go a day without it and be OK, then it could be a problem, because it controls you

My doctor (French) is a firm believer in taking one good glass of Red Wine a day. I have a very very painful neurological condition, nicknamed the Suicide Disease by doctors. The pain increases during the day until the evening I am almost unable to cope. With the advice and regular checkups with my doctor I start drinking at 7 pm and have X amounts of measures of Brandy and water. I have been doing this for many years. I only do this at home and as far as the doctor can see it has had no bad effect on me and the good effect is that I have not had to go onto heavy Heroin type drugs which can be given out like sweeties. I just had another brain scan and I have no sign of shrinkage of the brain and blood tests come up normal for my age - 70 in January 2017. The other drugs I take caused me Chronic Gastritis (he took me off the alcohol and it was the milder painkillers that were doing the damage). I am now taking PRO-X10 which stopped the gastritis in 24 hours. I can come on and off the alcohol and do not miss it in hospital as they give me stronger drugs (which I hate). I am taking a nasty antibiotic (first one in 5 years) as my sinus is totally blocked. The side effect of the antibiotic is C-Difficile. We have hospital cleanliness here in 'my' toilet as my husband is a diabetic but amazingly the first week on the drug I have yet to have a gastric episode. Yes you can take alcohol with this antibiotic. Addictive personalities and disorders are destructive but I have proven to my medical team I don't have them and am on a suite of drugs based on that. My problem is Trigeminal Neuralgia and the depression that goes with non stop pain. Wikipedia has a page on it. I have both forms. I am only writing this because alcohol and willow bark were the first of many drugs taken by ancient man to help him live with the pain that his life brought him. I have a medical background and am very very careful as to what I take. My body pain has and is being reduced by Joint33X. It is also slowly reducing my OH's leg pain due to his diabetes. The head pain rolls oHave a happy 2017 and remember 'different strokes for different folks'.

Good morning, Dide. Happy New Year! It is a pleasure to hear an update from you, and we appreciate you sharing a further glimpse into the life of Dide with the Community.

I completely agree with your statement "different strokes for different folks", as we have witnessed firsthand here on the Forum, that what works for one person may not work for another. Since we are all individuals and are as unique on the inside as we are on the outside, we must take the time to discover what allows us to achieve optimal health, body composition, and performance.

I am excited to see that you are seeing favorable, positive improvements with the inclusion of both Pro-X10, and Joint 33X. While I am sure this goes without saying, it is important that I remind folks that our products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Because we are not doctors and do not know your complete medical history, we advise that you consult your doctor and/or pharmacist about your specific medical question. And, never stop taking any medications without your doctor's approval.

BioTRUST Products are made with natural ingredients that are considered safe and extremely effective for nearly everyone. However, if you take prescription medications or have a medical condition, we recommend that you show our product labels to your physician and/or pharmacist for proper approval.

We wish you continued improvements to both your health and happiness in the new year, and hope you will keep us updated on how things are going for you.

In case you, or anyone else wants to stay on top of your updates, your previous thread can be found here:

Dide's Introduction Thread

Have an outstanding week, Dide.

Didn't Jesus turn water in to wine!

i dont see alcohol in moderation as a problem , while the bible speaks against drunkeness it does say all things in moderation , but does not totally for bid drinking , a little wine for you stomach sake , well just as a matter of interest i have become diabetic for some time now , last year i suffered a heart attack and this resulted in a stent , thankfully i am doing okay now , but have to battle the sugar am loosing weight , well if alcohol is so bad what about all the prescription drugs that doctors administer , in many cases people have bad reactions , cholesterol medication which is a muscle wasting drug often causing cramps in leg muscles , then the other drugs for sugar can have many side affects , when talking about things that are mind changing drugs i saw enough of my own mother who for many years was like a zombie all because of drugs from the doctor , and she never once ever drink alcohol in her life , but yet the doctor can put people on all kinds of drugs affecting people in many ways there driving ect . well from my personal experience i can prove time and again that drinking one stubbie of low carb beer 355 mil will reduce my sugar reading with in one hour by up up 30 percent , it does more for my sugar reading then all the drugs and insulin has ever done
    prove it for your self
    Ray

I did try kudzu at some stage and it did seem to moderate the alcohol intake

https://www.verywell.com/the-benefits-of-kudzu-89059

+ Reply to Thread