+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tab's Fitness Thread

Hey Coach Tim, my man!!!

Thanks for your reply.

1st of all, I'd like to commend BioTrust for your awesome new flavours for Lowcarb, just simply awesome!!! Just received my strawberry banana and mocha delight. Any shake recipes for the new flavours???

Next, great tips on the eggs and coffee! I.AM.PRETTY.ASHAMED.OF.MYSELF.RIGHT.NOW. I don't know why hard boiled eggs didn't cross my mind, at all....

Lastly, thanks for your answer on "defense of the gout". hehe Crystal clear!!!

By the way, Do you take 2-3 eggs a day every day? Is that ok? Just curious... And would mayo mess up a good diet?

Thanks Coach
    ...........................TaB.................... .......

Only YOU can choose to give up

Tab,

I hope this finds you doing well, my friend; we always enjoy hearing from you. You bring such a positive attitude and overall awesomeness with each post. I bet you're the type of person that people really want to be around to help lift them up. You bring sunshine to their days. Keep that up, Tab, and make sure to shine some of that sunshine on yourself; you're worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tab View Post
    1st of all, I'd like to commend BioTrust for your awesome new flavours for Lowcarb, just simply awesome!!! Just received my strawberry banana and mocha delight. Any shake recipes for the new flavours???
    Fantastic! We're glad to hear that you're such a fan of the new flavors (Strawberry Banana and Mocha) of BioTrust Low Carb; like you, I was beyond pleasantly surprised when I had my first tastes as well. They are now in my regular rotation, along with the great-tasting original flavors (Milk Chocolate and Vanilla Cream).

As far as recipes, we haven't yet added any for the Strawberry Banana flavor to our smoothie eBook; however, we have included several new Café Mocha recipes, and you can find those by downloading our smoothie recipe book:

53 Fat Burning Smoothies and Milkshakes

That being said, one of our superstar teammates Emily has been hard at work at creating some new recipes using the Strawberry Banana BioTrust Low Carb. She's come up with some really amazing ideas already, including Strawberry Banana Bread and Strawberry Banana Mini Protein Cheesecakes. I wouldn't necessarily consider those to be part of a "regular" eating plan, but they are great alternatives to their common counterparts, if you like those types of options.

As far as other options, I think you'll agree that the Strawberry Banana tastes great by itself, and I think that you'll find that adding some complementary fruit (e.g., strawberries, banana, kiwi) would make for a good smoothie. I know you have mentioned having some issue with some nuts, but it seems like adding a nut butter (e.g., almond, peanut butter) would make for a peanut butter and jelly-like experience.

Something that I've also found to be good is mixing one scoop of the Strawberry Banana flavor into a cup of plain Greek yogurt. I then mix in some sliced banana, and either some walnuts or nut butter. If nuts are a no-go for you, then some flax meal, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, or pumpkin seeds may be some other options. You'd eat that with a spoon as opposed to drinking it.

Next, great tips on the eggs and coffee! I.AM.PRETTY.ASHAMED.OF.MYSELF.RIGHT.NOW. I don't know why hard boiled eggs didn't cross my mind, at all....
    No need to feel ashamed, Tab; that's why we're here.

Lastly, thanks for your answer on "defense of the gout". hehe Crystal clear!!!
    Awesome; glad that was helpful!

By the way, Do you take 2-3 eggs a day every day? Is that ok?
    This is a fantastic question, Tab, and I'm glad that you brought it up. Yes, I do eat 2 - 3 eggs everyday, and on occasion, I may eat more. As far as whether or not it's okay, my guess is that you may be referring to cholesterol content of eggs, and along those lines, how both the mainstream media and some of the medical community have vilified eggs because of their cholesterol content. Is that why you're a little apprehensive?

If so, that's completely okay, and I fully understand why you may have that question. The good news is that we have plenty of scientific evidence to undermine that misguided hypothesis. I actually talk about this in quite a bit of depth in an upcoming eBook from BioTrust, and to help you make the best decision for you, here's the excerpt that covers the topic:

Simply put, because eggs contain cholesterol—about 200mg per egg—many health organizations have traditionally recommended limiting their consumption based on the assumption that dietary cholesterol increases blood levels of cholesterol. However, this is faulty presumption, as dietary cholesterol is structurally different than the lipoproteins (e.g., LDL and HDL, which are commonly referred to as “cholesterol”) that circulate in the blood and serve as transport molecules.

While there may be some interaction between dietary cholesterol and blood levels of these lipoproteins (since they do serve to transport cholesterol in the body), they’re not synonymous. What’s more, the body is more than adept at producing cholesterol on its own. In fact, the liver can produce as much as 75% of the body’s cholesterol, producing 1 – 2 grams of it per day. The body’s production of cholesterol decreases when cholesterol-rich foods are consumed and increases when cholesterol-free foods are eaten.

Thus, at best, this assumption is a gross oversimplication that does not appear to apply, in practice, to healthy folks, although it may extend to “hyper-responders” and diseased populations.102,103

In a cross-over study published in the International Journal of Cardiology, researchers from Yale Prevention Research Center assessed the effects of egg consumption on endothelial function (FMD), a reliable index of cardiovascular risk. 49 healthy men and women consumed two eggs per day for 6 weeks. At the end of the study, the researchers found that daily egg consumption did not affect total cholesterol, LDL, or FMD, providing clear evidence “that dietary cholesterol may be less detrimental to cardiovascular health than previously thought.”104

In one study published in the journal Nutrients, researchers from Wayne State University found that students who ate eggs for breakfast (providing 400mg of cholesterol) 5 days per week for 14 weeks experienced no negative impact on blood lipids (e.g., total cholesterol, LDL).105

In general, observational studies have not found a connection between egg consumption and risk of cardiovascular disease in otherwise healthy individuals. In a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, researchers from Harvard University’s Department of Nutrition assessed whether there was any connection between egg consumption and coronary heart disease (CHD) among over 117,000 otherwise healthy men and women over the course of 14 – 18 years. The researchers found “no evidence of an overall significant association between egg consumption and risk of CHD or stroke in either men or women.”106

In a study published in the journal Medical Science Monitor, researchers assessed the dietary patterns of nearly 10,000 adults (aged 25 – 74) to examine the association between egg consumption and risk of cardiovascular disease. They found that folks who consumed greater than 6 eggs per week does not increase the risk of cardiovascular disease compared to people who eat none.107

In a recent study published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, researchers from Spain set out to assess whether there was any connection between egg consumption and the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) among over 14,000 men and women (ages 20 – 90) who followed a Mediterranean-style diet. Once again, the researchers found no association between egg consumption and CVD risk when comparing folks with the highest to lowest egg consumption.108

Perhaps most interesting are the results from a study recently published in the journal Metabolism where researchers from the University of Connecticut compared the effects of eating 3 whole eggs per day versus an equivalent amount of yolk-free egg substitutes on blood lipids and insulin sensitivity. After 12 weeks, the researchers found that the participants who ate the whole eggs experienced significantly greater increases in HDL cholesterol and large HDL particles (i.e., the “good” forms of cholesterol), as well as reductions in total VLDL and medium VLDL particles. What’s more, the egg eaters also experienced significant improvements in insulin sensitivity and increases in HDL and LDL particle size (i.e., more large, fluffy particles).109 Particle size is noteworthy because small, dense particles are considered more detrimental than large, fluffy particles.49

Eggs provide one of the highest quality proteins of any whole food available; in fact, researchers frequently use the eggs as the standard in measuring the quality of protein from other foods. In addition to being a low-calorie source of high-quality protein, eggs also contain a variety of vitamins (e.g., A, B, D, and E), minerals, nutrients (e.g., choline), and monounsaturated fatty acids that can reduce the risk of CHD.110

There's a lot more to the cholesterol story than what's provided above, but hopefully that helps shed some light on your question. For more on the topic, you might visit this article and/or this post.

[cont'd below]
    Tim Skwiat, MEd., CSCS, Pn2
    Director of Nutrition and Exercise
    BioTRUST Nutrition: We are THE premium, natural nutrition brand committed to integrity, excellence, and giving back.

[cont'd from above]

Just curious... And would mayo mess up a good diet?
    This is another fantastic question, Tab, and before we delve into the specifics (i.e., mayo), I think it's important to bring this into context. In other words, , in the grand scheme of things, your health, fitness, performance, and body composition are contingent on your entire body of "nutrition work"—not an individual food or single meal. In other words, there’s no "magic" bullet. Instead of viewing foods in isolation as "good" or "bad," think about weight management and "deep health" as the product of practicing healthy eating habits, creating a positive food environment, and choosing high-quality, nutritious foods in appropriate amounts relative to your goals and activity levels regularly and consistently over time. Good nutrition takes practice, and just like getting better and mastering anything in life, it’s about progress—not perfection.

With that in mind, I'll be the first to admit that I've had somewhat of a personal "vendetta" against mayo for a long time. I never used it growing up, so I didn't really understand its place, and when I started learning about fitness and nutrition many moons ago, it just seemed like a source of "empty" calories to me. Not only that, when you take a look at the ingredients on the overwhelming majority of commercially available versions of mayo, you'll find that the first ingredient is typically a refined industrial vegetable/seed oils (e.g., soybean oil, canola oil), which is a topic that we've touched on in a number of different places (i.e., omega-6 versus omega-3 fatty acids) including this post where Coach Brian talked about soybean oil specifically. In general, it's a good idea for most folks to limit/eliminate their consumption of these omega-6-rich vegetable/seed oils (which are commonly found in processed/packaged foods) while concomitantly increasing their intake of omega-3 fatty acids, in particular from cold-water fish and/or algae.

With that being said, one of the points that I was attempting to make above is that I don't think that one food (e.g., mayo) is enough to mess up or ruin a nutrition plan that is otherwise made up of healthy, wholesome foods and is carried out regularly and consistently. However, as with many things nutrition-related, there may be some better options than they mayo that typically stocks store shelves. For example, you can now find mayo made with much healthier oils (e.g., avocado oil) and eggs from cage-free or pasture-raised hens and made without added sugar. Here's one version: Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Mayo. If I was a mayo fan, that's what I would probably gravitate toward. [Note: Many people also find that yogurt, Greek yogurt, and/or sour cream are perfectly suitable alternatives to mayo.]

I hope that you find all of this helpful, Tab; if I missed anything or if you have any other questions, just let us know. Thanks, my friend, and have a great day!

Coach Tim
    Tim Skwiat, MEd., CSCS, Pn2
    Director of Nutrition and Exercise
    BioTRUST Nutrition: We are THE premium, natural nutrition brand committed to integrity, excellence, and giving back.

Hey Coach Tim,

Thanks for your reply and the resources, recipe etc.

I already read about eggs and cholesterol before briefly. I just thought that everyday was still too much. Apparently not. Thanks!!!

As for mayo, that link doesn't provide for overseas purchase. Anyway I rarely consume mayo. Just wanted to check if it's fine to consume at all. With all the hype about it elsewhere.

Thanks Coach!!!

Hi Tab. Man oh man. Coach Tim hit you with the two-post response. That is some good stuff right there.

I am sorry you are unable to take advantage of the avocado oil mayo. There was even a special promo going on for 15% off your first order. I am sorry, I don't want to rub salt in your wounds.

You probably aren't missing out on much.

I really love your signature. "Only YOU can choose to give up". Ain't that the truth, Tab.

I am enjoying keeping up with your journey. Thanks for always staying in touch.

Have a fantastic week, Tab.
    Cristina Powell, ME-NC3, Pn1
    Nutrition and Exercise Coach
    Blog Articles by Coach Cristina
    Love yourself enough to live a healthy lifestyle.

Hey Coach Cristina,

Really sorry on the much overdue response. Yes he did! He loves his details... and so do we!

No it's fine I'm not crazy bout mayo, just checking for blind spots.

And I'm not just being considerate, I really like your signature as well. Coach Tim knows all too well I had problems with perfection. "Oh perfection! Thou hast deceived us all!"

Appreciated and thank you very much keeping up.

By the way, can protein cause gas problems? I don't think I'm lactose intolerant anymore. I was wrong, I don't have problems drinking just milk. It happens when I drink protein shakes, eat lean protein and /or salads and greens. I don't know exactly yet which one though is the problem but I'm pretty sure dairy products isn't it.

Have an awesome year ahead, Coach!

Hey Tab,

Thanks so much for checking in, my friend. I'm glad things are going so well for you, sans the gas issue. Speaking of which, I'm happy to talk a bit more about protein consumption and gas.

First and foremost, protein-dense food does not inherently cause gas. For instance, it is very unusual to experience gas from eating something like steak or chicken, as there really aren't any indigestible compounds in those foods. However, if you lack adequate digestive enzymes to breakdown proteins due to a medical condition, then this could pose a problem. That said, a majority of gas that is created in the intestines comes from things like legumes, whole grains, veggies, and fruits; the bacteria in your intestines create gases as they they breakdown sugars and starches that your body can't easily digest (e.g., cellulose, fiber). This is why folks tend to have flatulence after eating beans, or fibrous veggies.

The shakes really don't pose a problem either, however, there are 4 grams of fiber per two scoops of Low Carb. The 4 grams come directly from inulin, which is a semi-sweet, prebiotic fiber. Inulin is actually well-known for its ability to act as a feeder for probiotics in the intestines; that is, "good" bacteria thrive on inulin causing proliferation (i.e., growth), which is exactly what we want. However, inulin can cause gas for those that are sensitive to it, so if you've been consuming quite a bit of Low Carb, then this could partially explain the gas.

The thing about the intestines is that it's very adaptable, so if you've been eating these foods for long enough, then the gut microbiota should adjust; that is, you should be experiencing less gas from eating things like inulin, fibrous veggies/beans, and so forth, as the gut is better-prepared to handle those foods. That being said, if you continue to notice discomfort, gas, or even constipation for that matter, then it might be time to switch things up.

Food sensitivities, food allergies, and food intolerances are a hot subject in our field right now. Generally speaking, food sensitivities are diagnosed via blood tests, however, they're not necessarily accurate. I personally recommend folks not rely on them if that is how they discovered their sensitivity to dairy, milk, or any other foods for that matter. I recommend folks uncover food intolerances and food sensitivities via process of elimination, and Coach Tim Skwiat gives a pretty detailed explanation how to do that below. You might consider an elimination diet in order to figure out what's causing you to feel gassy, Tab.

Food Sensitivities: A Step-By-Step Guide

Let me know your thoughts, my friend, and please do not hesitate to reach out to us if we can do anything for you.

I hope this helps!
    Brian Murray, Pn2

+ Reply to Thread