+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IC-5: Cinnamon concerns

IC-5: Cinnamon concerns

The ingredients for IC-5 lists "Cinnamon bark" first. The detailed info on the IC-5 product page says this is Cinnamomum Burmannii.

The video at fixyourbloodsugar.com says at the 14:50 mark that it's Cinnamomum Cassia, which I gather from the Wikipedia page on cinnamon is just a generic name for stuff that's not "true cinnamon," Cinnamomum verum.

This is straight off a concern for me because I thought BioTrust went out of their way to provide the best, most healthful ingredients in their products.

The concern regarding the use of Cinnamomum cassia is the relatively high concentrate of coumarin, which can be toxic to the liver and kidneys.

So now I need to ask:
    1. Does IC-5 in fact use the lesser cinnamon Cinnamomum cassia rather than true cinnamon, and if so, what are the levels of coumarin that we are ingesting?
    2. Are there any plans to modify IC-5 to use true cinnamon, Cinnamomum verum?

Thank you.

Hi jag,

Welcome to the BioTrust Community! Thank you so much for sharing your concerns with us and for allowing us the opportunity to assist you. I hope that you found the video at the Fix Your Blood Sugar website to be insightful and helpful. Did you happen to download the free report? If not, you may do so here:

4 Tricks to Never Store Carbs as Fat

I get the sense that you want to know why we chose to use the cassia variety of cinnamon instead of the ceylon variety. The short answer to your question is because of the consistency with the research. The scientific basis for including cinnamon and achieving the purported blood sugar and insulin sensitivity benefits involved the use of the cassia variety of cinnamon:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17556692

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/con...6/12/3215.full

Cinnamomum Cassia is a potent extract harvested from Indonesian cinnamon bark that has been shown to effectively assist in managing blood sugar after a carbohydrate-rich meal, while increasing your body's ability to process the carbohydrates you eat by up to 10-fold.

Unlike the store-bought cinnamon that's also discussed in the video, Cinnamomum Cassia is the exact same highly-potent cinnamon extract used in clinical research like in the previously-cited research. The extract used in IC-5 is 100% pure, does not undergo any irradiation whatsoever, and is concentrated by 400% to contain robust levels of the active ingredients for unparalleled effectiveness.

In plain English, this means you don't have to worry about chocking down TWELVE, 500 mg capsules of Cinnamon daily. In fact, just 250 mgs, twice a day, does the trick.

It bears reiteration that the cassia variety of cinnamon, which is found in IC-5, is the exact species and extract that has been found to have a beneficial effect on blood sugar levels in double-blind, placebo-controlled studies. There is no such research in support of the ceylon varieties.

I hope this helps, jag!
    Tim Skwiat, MEd., CSCS, Pn1
    Senior Nutrition and Exercise Coach

Hi jag,

I just wanted to take a moment to share some additional research and information with you regarding your questions/concerns.

Ceylon cinnamon does not affect postprandial plasma glucose or insulin in subjects with impaired glucose tolerance.

Abstract: Previous studies on healthy subjects have shown that the intake of 6 g Cinnamomum cassia reduces postprandial glucose and that the intake of 3 g C. cassia reduces insulin response, without affecting postprandial glucose concentrations. Coumarin, which may damage the liver, is present in C. cassia, but not in Cinnamomum zeylanicum. The aim of the present study was to study the effect of C. zeylanicum on postprandial concentrations of plasma glucose, insulin, glycaemic index (GI) and insulinaemic index (GII) in subjects with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT). A total of ten subjects with IGT were assessed in a crossover trial. A standard 75 g oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) was administered together with placebo or C. zeylanicum capsules. Finger-prick capillary blood samples were taken for glucose measurements and venous blood for insulin measurements, before and at 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, 120, 150 and 180 min after the start of the OGTT. The ingestion of 6 g C. zeylanicum had no significant effect on glucose level, insulin response, GI or GII. Ingestion of C. zeylanicum does not affect postprandial plasma glucose or insulin levels in human subjects. The Federal Institute for Risk Assessment in Europe has suggested the replacement of C. cassia by C. zeylanicum or the use of aqueous extracts of C. cassia to lower coumarin exposure. However, the positive effects seen with C. cassia in subjects with poor glycaemic control would then be lost.

Just to clarify: the cinnamon extract that we use in IC-5 is water-extracted, which dramatically decreases levels of coumarin. The research above again highlights why we use the cassia versus the "true" cinnamon. Simply put, it is more effective. This research also demonstrates that the use of a water-extracted material, which we use in IC-5, mitigates the coumarin issue.

Here are some additional resources for your reference:

From type 2 diabetes to antioxidant activity: a systematic review of the safety and efficacy of common and cassia cinnamon bark.

Cinnamon intake lowers fasting blood glucose: meta-analysis.

Bioactivity of cinnamon with special emphasis on diabetes mellitus: a review.

I hope this helps!

Tim! Thank you so much for revealing the info about the differences in cinnamon! It had also been in my mind recently to do some research on it, and you very clearly explained it in the response on IC-5 Cinnamon concerns: to jag !!!
    Now that I have my supplements that include the IC-5, I hope it will help me with my insulin response, which has a lot to do with my rare disease. Thanks again!

Hi SlimJean,

It is great seeing you around here again!

Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm glad the information is helpful.

The real kudos go to The Man behind it all: Brett Hall, BioTrust's Head Research and Development Scientist. He is a sage in every sense of the word. He is a human encyclopedia, and he leaves no stone unturned when it comes to formulating BioTrust's amazing, scientifically-backed nutrition products, all in an effort to provide the most pure, potent, effective, and safe dietary supplements.

Keep up the great work, SlimJean! I look forward to hearing your feedback!

Hey Jag

My two cents worth. As far as the effectiveness goes, IC-5 has exceeded my expectations in controlling my blood glucose. My family naturally runs with the high end of the glucose range (~120/130) which is where I got to with diet/exercise. Adding IC-5 shifted me to the value of 100. Exactly where I need to be and more importantly it stopped my roller coasting of highs to lows after meals and my morning spikes. This I think is the greatest benefit. I currently take 1-IC-5, 3 times a day, I add a second IC-5 for high carb/pig out meals.

Also the r-alpha lipoic acid in IC-5 can interfere with sleep so I follow the same rule with IC-5 as the Leptiburn and not take it within 6 hours of bedtime.

Good luck.

Outstanding info, Tim! Many thanks for providing a straight answer, and especially for the links backing it up. I very much appreciate it.

Hi rsa98,

This is outstanding feedback about your blood sugar levels. While we know that IC-5 works, the numbers that you shared will provide some additional objective feedback for folks wondering how and how well it works. The effect on fasting blood sugar is fascinating and extremely important for overall health. I would consider that a chronic effect. That's excellent!

I've had folks share with me some really impressive post-prandial (i.e., post-meal) results as well (showing an acute effect of IC-5). For example, one person shared with me the following:

Day1:

fasting blood sugar: 83
    then ate the oatmeal, maple syrup, coconut fat 250 cal meal. No IC5 on this day.

blood sugar 45 min after meal: 112

Day2:

fasting blood sugar: 83
    then ate the oatmeal, maple syrup, coconut fat 250 cal meal. Added a dose of IC5 before meal.

blood sugar 45 min after meal: 84

That's an interesting about the alpha lipoic acid. Is this something that you've noticed personally? Or, is this something that's been documented?

Thanks, rsa98!

Quote Originally Posted by jag View Post
    Outstanding info, Tim! Many thanks for providing a straight answer, and especially for the links backing it up. I very much appreciate it.
    jag,

It's our pleasure to help. Questions like these are very helpful, and I applaud you for your attention to detail. If there is anything else we can do to help, please let us know.

Thank you for the info, rsa98! My physical last week had fasting glucose at 104. Tough to reconcile with my deep love of pizza and pasta.

Tim, was reading the abstract at that last link, about "true" cinnamon NOT having the positive effects on blood sugar seen with Cinnamomum cassia. That one caught me totally by surprise!

Which brings me to a couple of disappointments with a slightly different "4 Tricks" doc from BioTrust, "4 'Sneaky' Tricks to Lower Your Blood Sugar". (Keeping with the same discussion thread because it still relates to the original cinnamon concerns.)

1. Page 8 says:

"Believe it or not, out of 12 ground cinnamon specimens examined by the New York Board of Health, only three contained any cinnamon whatsoever and even those were largely mixed with sawdust. The others were almost entirely composed of sawdust, starch, and cinnamon flavored oil."

The disappointment there is that there was no reference citation for this. Adding to the confusion is the ambiguity between the New York State Department of Health vs. the New York City Board of Health. (With no stated distinction, I had assumed the reference was at the state level, but now I suspect it's at the city level.) I could find no reference to such a study on either entity's web site. I'm not doubting that such a study exists, but I am curious as to why it's so difficult to find. (By comparison, it's easy to turn up the study by UC Davis on similar false representations regarding olive oils sold in California.)

2. Page 10:

"The first ingredient I'm excited to share with you today is Cinnamomum Cassia, a potent extract harvested from Indonesian cinnamon bark.... We'll tell you the best place to get this specific extract, and economically, in just a few short moments, so be sure to keep reading..."

It finally occurred to me only just now that the "best place" referenced above is the IC-5 product. I was wondering about a source for JUST the extact. That's what was promised by the text, but not what was delivered.

Fact is, I've already ordered the IC-5 to check it out. But I'm ALSO interested in cinnamon for its own sake. I can't very well cook with IC-5! Which is why the above was especially disappointing.

It happens that Penzey's Spices is just up the road from me. I should be able to trust that their cinnamons are what they claim to be. I'm about out of cinnamon from the grocery store, so I guess I'll get it from Penzey's from now on. Which is also why the study on true cinnamon not having the same blood sugar benefits is interesting.

+ Reply to Thread